Monday, December 7, 2009

Please Daddy....

Sometime my family wonders why I don't get very excited about Christmas. My sister and I got plenty of gifts as evidenced by the photo here of Christmas 1957. We were a middle-class family living the American Dream in the suburbs. But like a lot of suburban middle-class families, we had our dark secrets.

Tis not the season to rain on anyone else's holiday so I am not going to do it here. Instead I will simply post this song by the late John Denver which, I might add, I have great difficulty listening to without singing along until my voice fails.

4 comments:

Charlie said...

I can relate more than I want to think about.

Robert the Skeptic said...

Charlie Like many of our generation, my Dad came out of WWII a tad different person. They gave those vets a pat on the back and told them to forget about it and go live the American Dream. Instead they sometimes had nightmares.

We recognize the psychologically wounded today and fortunately they get the attention they deserve.

Green-Eyed Momster said...

I just wanted to thank you for your comment on the Doubting Faith blog. I appreciate you taking the time. I'm sorry it took me over a month to see it.

kara said...

what happened to the humbug sign? did you scrap it? we worked so hard!